Monday, September 28, 2009

Weigh In on Our Dilemma

There have been many requests recently for multiple copies of The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery for book discussion groups.

The RTG committee has been discussing adding this title as a kit, but none of us has been able to read it, and we haven't heard of anyone who actually LIKES the book. Have any of you read the book or attended a group discussion of the title? (Nesmith Library's copy has been out 25 times since we got it in February and I haven't been able to read it myself yet!)

Our reticence comes from our experience that those who do not like a book generally don't finish it and tend to skip the discussion. If half the group doesn't show up, is it still worthwhile? Personally, I think "Did you like this book? If not, why?" is a great discussion question!

There are discussion questions available from the publisher, so finding questions is not the problem.

Please weigh in, and let us know what you think! You can comment below or contact us here.

--Diane Mayr and the READS-TO-GO committee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friends have offered to sponsor another bag and I suggested that title in part because I have an extra (pristine) copy lying around. I'll ask my patrons who have read it-- the staff member who returned the extra copy today thought it was a bit weird.
dawn, dunbar free library

Diane Mayr said...

Thanks, that's the comment we've heard most often, "a bit weird."

Anonymous said...

Our Book Group is reading it now, & I had to scramble for copies....I will certainly let you know how it went over.

(We have also noticed that the least liked books have generated some of the best discussions!)

Diane Mayr said...

Thanks! We look forward to hearing back from you after the discussion.