Thursday, October 15, 2009

Looking for a Creepy Read?


Perhaps your book group is looking for something a little bit creepy to read this Halloween season? If so, why not try Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach? It is currently available from the Nesmith Library. Give Lois a call at 432-7154 to borrow the kit.

Here's an interesting bit from a New York Times interview, "Stray Questions for: Mary Roach":
Whose books are generally shelved around yours in bookstores? How does it feel to be sitting between them?

When my first book--Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers--came out, Borders shelved it in Medical Reference. Stiff is not a reference book. There is no practical medical advice except, like, Never remove your head for more than nine minutes. My husband kept saying, "You’ve got to do something about this, you’ve got to call them!" So I do. I call up Borders headquarters in Minneapolis and I ask to speak to Guy Who Decides Where Books Get Shelved. Of course, there is no guy. The receptionist asks for the title of my book, she checks a list, and she puts me through to Guy Who Deals with Medical Reference. What I don’t know at the time is that this man has taken a liking to my book. He spends his days with Healing Your Sinuses and Dr. Jensen’s Guide to Better Bowel Care. Stiff is high art to him. It is because of this fine man that Stiff becomes a Borders "Original Voices" book. These books are displayed on their own special shelf in the stores. This is a great boon and honor, not to mention a welcome furlough from Medical Reference. But at the time I call, I know nothing of this man’s deeds. I fill his voicemail box with a whingeing ignoramus request to be moved to, what, Sewing Craft? Gardening? A few hours later my publicist e-mails me. There is panic in the land. Damage control is underway. "Mary," it concludes, "please don’t ever call Borders headquarters again."

As far as I know, Stiff is still shelved in Medical Reference. I told this story to a Borders employee a while back. "That’s not so bad," she said. "We put The Perfect Storm in Commercial Fishing."
To read another New York Times article, this one by Mary Roach, click here.

Try serving your group a few Halloween treats to go along with Stiff. I'd recommend the "Carrot Finger-Food" or one of the other recipes from FamilyFun. Have a great time!

--Diane

No comments: